Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Big Saturday 2

So I put the “miles to go before I sleep” motto to the test this past Saturday.

Saturday was a long run day, but started a little earlier than most Saturday runs. I was scheduled to run 18 miles and needed to get it done before 9:00 am, because (to my surprise) I had been signed up to be an assistant coach on Morgan’s soccer team this year, and the first coaches meeting was that morning.

Why not run after the meeting, you say? Well, we had also agreed to host a PTA beer tasting at our house and I needed to get some food and house prep done.

So I was on the road at 5:50 and it turned out to be the best run of the year. I felt fast and injury free. Plus, as I ran west, I watched a huge full moon set and by the time I turned to come back east, I was able to watch the sunrise over the lake.

I made the coaches meeting at 9:00, was cooking by 11:00, cooked steadily from 11:00 to 3:30, changed out our vestibule light fixture, and was ready for the tasting by 7:00.

Had a blast at the beer tasting and way over-indulged for my age.

The last guests left about 12:30am and I got my third wind, whereby I cleaned the house, so we had nothing to do in the morning. Still energized, I of course did some late night Facebook posting before bed and annoyed my brother in Denver.

Passed out…literally…sometime after 2:00 am. A 22 hour day is probably over doing it, but well worth it. (Thanks to all that helped and enjoyed.)

I was able to get in two outdoor rides this past week, including a good ride on Sunday to knock off the Saturday night cobwebs. Loving the new bike and being outside.

Otherwise, training is moving along. We are about 50 days until the marathon and 4 weeks until the first tri.

So many miles to go before I sleep…

Editor’s note: We have a vestibule and foyer. Scott refuses to use either word and insists on calling them both the front hallway, when they are clearly different. I’m not sure if the word “vestibule” offends his manly sensibilities, but I changed it anyway. So there!

No comments:

Post a Comment