Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Weeks in Review

First things first, the boot is off and I am running again.

Week of June 20:

Doctor’s appointment was on Monday and I was cleared to run. Truth to be told, I ran twice before the appointment. I was able to get in two runs this week and each were a little over 7 miles with no pain or swelling. I have switched running shoes to Asics Gel Nimbus, and so far I am happy. Two other high points were a 65 mile ride and 2.5 mile swim.

I was also able to get my in wetsuit on and do an open water swim . I had forgotten how much work open water is…so it was good to get out in the lake and get a solid 45minute swim under my belt.

Week of June 27:

I was able to run 3 times this week and all the runs were between 7-8 miles. I am also still putting in solid long swims. A side effect of the injury has been that my swim stroke has improved and relaxed. The high point of this week was a 75 mile ride, which I will officially say is long time on a bike. I did this ride on my road bike as opposed to my TT bike, and I kept the pace at about 19-21mph.

Also , I had a chance to get another open water swim. It was much smoother this time, but no matter the number of times I practice, I think it will always freak me out a bit.

Week of July 4th:

I was able to run 8 miles on the 4th, which I was psyched about as my legs were shot from the 75 miles the day before. Tuesday I really suffered in the pool, but I swam 2.4 miles. I think the overindulgence of every type of food on the 4th and too many days without break were starting to catch up with me.

Overall: A month ago I had written off the Ironman/Full distance triathlon, but now two weeks after my last appointment I am thinking I may make a run for it. It all depends on how my run shapes up as I progress. I will definitely run the Half at Cedar Point and I have already spoken to registration about upgrading about a month out to the Full. As a side note, I am running a sprint tri this weekend and looking forward to some racing.

2 comments:

  1. Any interest in joining the RAI Race Team to raise funds and awareness for adolescents and young adults affected by cancer? - Ryan O'Donoghue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan: It is a great cause and would definitely be interested in joining the RAI Race Team to help. Let's touch base soon. Thanks Scott.

    ReplyDelete